Monday, October 6, 2008

I Love It!

[I originally posted this on the other site for my year in N. Ireland, but wanted to blog it here as well. Since it really reflects on much of my whole life, I thought it fitting to post here too.]

I just got back from the Christian Union not too long ago. I can't tell you how much I love being with other believers. I know that sounds like a cheesy, Christian card, but I really do. I get excited on Saturdays about church on Sunday. I had a great time at Communion Sunday morning, hanging out with believers at the Carson's house for lunch, and going to Sunday night service at Fisherwick. Then, on top of that, the CU tonight. Really, I think I'm a Church junkie...

On a more serious vein of thought with all of this though, I've been reflecting on the family of God around the world. I often find myself wondering why it is that God's given me the opportunity to travel to over two dozen countries, as young as I am. I still don't know all the reasons - but I know for me it has become a huge piece in the foundation of my faith and my understanding of it. Whether I've been at a church service in Zagreb, Prague, Fortaleza (Brazil), Bangkok, Paris or elsewhere, being with the family of God, worshiping has been similar in all corners of the world. At times the language, style, and form is different, but the heart, passion, and presence of God is always evident wherever I've been.

Having seen the people of God passionate for Him the world over, I don't worry about God's Kingdom advancing. The reality of "His Kingdom come, His will be done" is taking place each day, changing lives, changing communities, and bringing glory to the Father in every part of the globe.

In the same vein, no matter what country I've been in, I've always felt as though I was with family. Spending the afternoon at Robert & Diana Carson's on Sunday with Naomi (N. Irish), Nialls (Irish), Edwin (Dutch), Spencer (US), Vasco (Italian), Jack (US), and Robyn (US) was incredible. None of us had known each other for more than a couple of weeks - most for only a couple of hours - yet we came together (Anglican, Presbyterian, Catholic, Bible church, etc) and simply enjoyed each other's company. It's been the same experience for me wherever I've gone.

I've come to believe that this is unique to the body of Christ. My non-Christian friends here simply don't have any other similar structure to which they can fit in - so, no matter where they're going, they begin their relationships from scratch. I hope and trust that they'll see something different, something appealing in the family of God and Christ in and through them this year.

No comments: