Saturday, July 26, 2008

What a Wonderful Week


Tomorrow, I head back to Arkansas with my parents...17 hours of driving to wrap-up what has been a wonderful week. I need to head to bed, as I'm pretty exhausted, but here are the highlights:

*Visa - I got my application sent off and heard from the British Consulate this week. I've been approved for my visa! Woohoo! (The British Consulate was absolutely amazing at communicating)

*Tickets - I bought my tickets for N. Ireland - right around $500, not too shabby. I fly out Monday, Sept. 15 and get in to Belfast a couple of days before international orientation starts.

*Got to read a ton - read two essays by Francis Schaffer on "Art and the Bible," a 600 page novel (the Bourne Betrayal...eh, not amazing, but okay), and "The Language of God" by Francis Collins - head of the human genome project. I can't remember the last chance I got to read this much - it was wonderful! :-)

*People - I had lots of time to spend with my parents, my sister & brother-in-law and two nephews, and then all my extended cousins here in Charleston - we had a blast!!

*History - for the first time in the 25 years I've been coming to Charleston, I did touristy stuff this week. Had a blast on a carriage ride through downtown Charleston and then a great time out at Ft. Sumter with Uncle Wayne, Aunt Dee, and Krystan.

*Phone - I didn't answer my phone all week - and while I feel bad that two of my best friends from back home couldn't get a hold of me - it felt so good to cut the "leash" for a week.

On top of all that, lots of time spent in the hammock, on the beach, and in one of the rocking chairs on the porch (like the one above).

Tomorrow we drive back and Monday I'll head back to work. My last two days at JBU are Monday and Tuesday, then I'll be spending the rest of the week taking care of business in town before heading down to Little Rock on either Sunday, Aug. 3rd, or the following day.

It was a wonderful week and I'm ready to get back to Siloam for a great last week with friends!

2 comments:

D. Wo. said...

Art and the Bible is fantastic. I hope that you enjoy reading it.

Seth said...

Schaffer's "Art and the Bible" is a good, short read. I enjoyed it a lot. Collins' book is great as well--did you grab it on PJ's recommendation? I did. I would also highly recommend Michael Behe's "Edge of Evolution." He and Collins come to some varying conclusions, but both are eye-opening reads.