Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Jackson Pollack Week


In my undergrad, I did a project on Jackson Pollack. Fascinating artist, creator, and, on a psychological level, a fascinating man as well. Much of his art work is like the above, a "splattering" of different colored paints layer upon layer. My week seemed similar to this splattering of bright colors and dark colors, to the point where, just as I'm unsure of what to make of some of Pollack's paintings, I'm unsure of what to make of my week.

Queen's
I received word from a professor on Monday that I had been accepted to the Grad program. He mentioned that I should, shortly thereafter, hear from the admissions office, which I never did. The online status of my application still isn't updated...so, the questions begin: do I go ahead with a student visa? Do I wait with so little time left? Do I go ahead with buying a plane ticket that will just get more expensive the closer to Sept. it gets? What should I go ahead and do about loans? The week definitely had the high point of being accepted - an event that makes me ecstatic, when I stop and think about it.

Health
I haven't been feeling well for a week or more now and I couldn't put my finger on it. Was it spiritual? Was it physical? Was it simply that I wasn't sleeping enough or at good hours? Was I eating poorly? Was it stress from the house (I killed 45 gnats hovering over our sink yesterday morning...ugh)? Was it stress from work?

I still don't know for sure, but what I do know is that I got a physical on Wed. and my blood pressure is 150/90 (normal is 120/70). So, I'm elevated on both counts and it's a little scary when the doctor starts talking about putting you on blood pressure meds that 50 year olds usually take.

In the end, it was a good thing. The high blood pressure helps explain why I've been feeling heavy and lethargic and not on my "A game".

But while it's good to know what's wrong - it's still sobering to have such high blood pressure and know that one of the big ways to bring it down is to loose 20 pounds - yikes!

Work
Work has changed too. Thursday, I officially gave up my desk. Which is bitter sweet. Yes, it means that I'm nearly done with my commitment at JBU, but it's also weird to be looking at the end of 6 years working in the admissions office. So, I'm now back in the call intern area with a few projects to finish (procedure manual, AVC, etc.) up before I leave and 12 days of work left.

In Summary..."A Jackson Pollack Week" seemed to be the best description of this last week. In the midst, I still hold firmly to God's sovereignty. An unchanging God brings with him an unchanging perspective and resolve. A resolve and a perspective that all too often slips from my eyes. It's a marvelous thing, that an unchanging God created changing beings and understands them so fully, that their morphesus doesn't shake him. Perhaps, while my week seemed like a "Jackson Pollack" week, from the perspective of the Almighty, it was a small part of what might, in the end, look like a Thomas Cole or John Constable painting.

That seems true to the God of the Old and New Testament. The God above the circumstances, orchestrating, yet not controlling, the actions of man to create the symphony or the painting that tell of something great...that is a testimony, a testimony to Him.

No comments: