Sunday, November 9, 2008

Bush's Treatment by the American Public: An Article & Responses

"To be sure, Mr. Bush is not completely alone. His low approval ratings put him in the good company of former Democratic President Harry S. Truman, whose own approval rating sank to 22% shortly before he left office."

In my own self-absorbed way of thinking about what thoughts others must have of me, I often come to the decision that they don't know quite what to do with me. I probably come across as naively idealistic and, now, in light of posts on Obama, all to willing to support him, ignoring the troubling policies or issues he may support.

I think, for one, rather than naivety, it's simply a continuation of who I am. I remember receiving from my high school Spanish teacher a note at graduation of congratulations that went on to say that she'd never heard anyone speak badly of me. A compliment and an encouragement - for I believe I'm called to respect, love, and honor everyone - even with whom I disagree or have very little in common.

It's as a result of that mindset that I'm committed to honoring those with whom I disagree at times (such as Barack Obama and the Democratic party platform) and encouraging others to do the same. Here's an article published by the Wall Street Journal this last week. I tend to agree with it's perspective that Bush has been undully mocked and disrespected. So, if nothing else, I don't want this to be said in 4 years about those of us who did not vote for Obama. May the review be, "They disagreed with him and the Democratic congress, but they always did it with deep respect that honored the President and those in power."

Here's the article at WSJ.com. Also, the emails/letters in follow-up to it are really good - albeit, lengthy. For what it's worth, enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your commentary on the goings-on of US politics. While I don't see eye-to-eye with you on everything, I greatly appreciate the respectful manner with which you examine issues.

See with someone like you, one might actually be able to have a productive conversation. And I appreciate that.