Monday, November 3, 2008

Give Us a King Like the Other Nations

In following up to Daniel's comment on the last post, I agree, I too am ready for the ballots to be cast tomorrow, the decision made, and life to move on - God in control as He's always been, regardless of how the election turns out.

As I was thinking about the election the other day, this came to mind:

"Then all the elders of Israel gathered together and came to Samuel at Ramah and said to him [...] 'Now appoint for us a king to judge us like all the other nations.'" (1 Sam. 8:4-5)

I've come to the point where I've decided, if people truly want Barack Obama to be president, then let them have it (indeed, The Economist for this week communicates as though he's already won with the title "It's Time..." and Obama walking, humbly toward the camera). I think people will be surprised by what they actually get with him as President and I don't think it's going to be a good thing - but sometimes we only learn that what we wanted isn't good for us by getting actually getting that which we wanted.

Understand, I have nothing against Obama as a man. He's intelligent, thoughtful, kind, and well-meaning - I have no doubt about these. But, I don't think that he and his party's policies are healthy for the US economy and society. And, in the vein of the verse above, I feel like there is this idea - however slight or quiet it might be - that Obama is more like European leaders - trendy (in following the will of the people) and "a dweller of the gray area" (so you never quite know what he's thinking or what he actually believes) - and there's this call for "Give us a president like the other Western nations."

So, as I stay up tomorrow night way too late to watch the election results roll in, if the people begin crying for the "king" they think they want, then by all means, give it to them. It won't change the way I follow, love, or trust my Lord - so more power to them, and I'll keep step right behind this God who is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

No comments: