Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Friend's Post on Obama

Here's a post from a friend of mine from junior high/high school in Kenya. I have the deepest of respect for both Danielle's faith and intellect. As you can see, we voted differently this election. I was telling a friend last night, this is what I love about having friends who see the world slightly differently then I do. Danielle sees things and knows things about Obama that I wasn't aware of - and it gives me great hope. I'm not a huge fan of Obama, but so many Christians that I respect did vote for him - so, because I respect them, I respect their choice, even if it was different from mine. And, just as I would have been praying for McCain through his presidency, I'll be praying for Obama - for wisdom and for strength - and with hope, that this is indeed a great time for America to respond to Darfur, reach out to the poor, see abortion rates decline, and more.

----------

not only African Americans.

I am so excited about this day. I am excited to vote for someone who is concerned for the poor and who the poor, throughout the world, have voted for. I am excited to have voted for someone who knows something about Darfur and has not lost count of his houses. I am excited that this person has called Americans to sacrifice time and time again and that he continues to use unifying language. I am excited that the littles will grow up with a president who matches their skin tone. I am excited that people my age are interested and involved in politics.

My high school basketball coach wrote to tell me that Kenyan President Kibaki has declared Nov. 6 a national holiday to celebrate Barack Obama's victory. Have you ever heard of such a thing happening in response to the affairs of the other side of the world?

I don't agree with Obama about everything. I'm not in love with the man, nor do I place my hope in him. As a Christian, I don't expect to ever vote for a candidate with whom I completely align and agree. However, this does not diminish my excitement in the least over today's events. I think that the next four years will be easier for the hard core McCain loyals then it would've been if he had won. They are left to say at every bump in the road, I told you so, or should've voted for McCain. I hope that today does indicate a continuing trend of diminished partisanship and that people will heed both candidates' calls tonight towards unity and cooperation.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Thanks, Daniel. You're too generous. :)