Sunday, November 9, 2008

Reading: The New GOP & Obama

Reading "The Gaurdian" the other day, I came across a column that talked about the GOP party getting together to redefine itself. In fact, they've set up a website to get input from Republicans on what needs to happen. In all this discussion, I've also come across two books on what the "new" GOP party needs to look like. Here's links to articles on them. I'll likely pick up one of the two.

The Grand New Party: Republicans Can Win the Working Class and Save the American Dream

A New Kind of Conservative (I couldn't find a review, since the book is so new, but here's an excerpt from it at RelevantMagazine.com)

On the second note, Obama. While I didn't vote for Obama because of policy issues and what I believe is best for the country, now that he's my president I really do want to know more about who he is as a man - a man of faith, an African-American man, etc. The Faith of Barack Obama showed up in last month's Relevant Magazine. It's written by Stephen Mansfield, who wrote a well-reviewed biography on George W. Bush's faith, and is published by Thomas Nelson - an evangelical publishing company that has a reputation for publishing well. So, in order to understand Barack Obama more, this new president of mine for 4 years and to speak intelligently about who he is and in a respectful, honoring way with others over the next 4 years, I'm planning to pick this book up and see what Mansfield has to say.

No comments: